I couldn’t think of a better way to get this blog going then sharing with you my most popular recipe but before we get there let me share a little secret. If we rewind like 4 years, I started a blog just after having my daughter called run for cake where I shared my newly found love for running and all things that made me feel good. The blog lived for
an entire 12 months and life just took over. About a year or so after that I started my instagram account @srunsforcake because I loved connecting and sharing my love for food with others but didn’t have the time to blog daily. Fast forward another year and a half and here I am taking another bite at the blogging apple. I hope this teeny tiny blog inspires you and I’m so excited to take you with me on this journey!
Now back to deliciousness that is this recipe. In a
desperate effort to get my then two-year daughter to eat more vegetables, I created this simple vegan recipe that works.every.single.time. These muffins are refined sugar-free, dairy free, egg free and beyond delicious! Most importantly, they are so easy to make and packed with spinach that will go undetected by even the most picky eaters. You can make mini muffins or regular sized muffins with this recipe. If you have any left, you can freeze and have them ready to go for a perfect lunchbox addition.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups Spelt Flour (whole wheat and white work flour work as well)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup milk (unsweetened almond and cows milk both work great)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 brown bananas mashed
- 1 bag baby spinach (I haven't personally tried frozen)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Next, place all wet ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Then, combine wet and dry ingredients until well mixed.
- Pour into lined cupcake tins or bread loaf and bake.
- Mini muffins take about 16 minutes to bake and regular sized muffins take about 22 minutes to bake.
I usually double the batch and make a combination of mini and full size muffins for the entire family to enjoy. I freeze half the mini muffins for the kids and just take one or two out the night before when including these delicious muffins in their lunch boxes.
I’m telling you these muffins are soooo delicious and if it wasn’t for the color…no one would know they were packed with spinach. 💚
Hope you enjoy!!